Friday, March 18, 2011

PINO Noir

Orwell would be proud. When PINOs (Progressives in Name Only) are arguing for maintaining the status quo by demonizing those supporting student first public education, we must be the ones progressing.

Here's a link to Arkansas Times' Editor Max Brantley's Arkansas Blog posting: LR Chamber plans school takeover. Read it first, then my response:
"Max,

"Because of my profession, I've intentionally never ventured into personal public policy initiatives, lest my opinions be viewed as representing my organization.

"That said, with two third graders in the Little Rock School District, I've been compelled to leave the faceless sidelines and go public in my individual advocacy for immediate reform of our public schools.

"I initiated HB 1551 and 2140 with Representative Barry Hyde. While I appreciate the Chamber's and others' support, it is not any organization's bill. It was and remains citizen/parent initiated out of my sheer frustration with a system that is not educating all students.

"Further, amendments of both bills have been drafted and filed, but evidently not yet posted online. I received copies yesterday from Representative Hyde, after copies were distributed to members of the House Committee on Education.

"I initiated this legislation for these reasons:

"HB 1551

"For too long, a system has been perpetuated which ensures minimal voter turnout in order to disenfranchise and disengage the public from the governance of their public schools. As a result, in the 2010 Little Rock School District election, only 1.6% of registered voters cast ballots, compared to 49% in the general election just two months later. My own unopposed Zone 4 (West Little Rock) member was elected with just 57 votes.

"HB 2140

"Current law only allows incumbent school boards to determine how the district will be represented. In the case of Little Rock, that determination was made by the board, not the people, in the mid-1990s. By all indications, Little Rock is locked into seven zones unless the board decides otherwise. With the 2010 census, the Arkansas State Board of Education and Arkansas School Board Association have issued a memorandum to school boards, superintendents, and co-op directors stating that they must redraw zones (by 6/2012) and determine by resolution (90 days before 9/2011 school elections) if they will be five or seven zones, and if seven, all zones or five zones and two at-large. They then should elect all new board members in the 9/2012 school elections in order to comply with state and federal law. I believe that, after each census, the people, not those whose positions are at stake, should determine how they will be represented. Click for the February 8, 2011 memorandum from Dan Farley, executive director of the Arkansas School Board Association.

"We could go back and forth in comments on your blog, but you'll always be at a distinct advantage because of your much bigger platform and audience. Still, I'm not not hiding from anyone on this issue, so I will gladly debate you and/or any other opposed individual or group representative in the public forum of your choosing - before or after Tuesday.

"All I ask is that we debate the bills and initiatives on their merits and not cloud the issues your gripes with the Chamber.

"With no change, my kids will be fine. I'll see to that. But what about the over 10,000 students (40%) in the district who were not proficient in math, reading and science in 2010? Continuing to trumpet trending gains is unacceptable. Those 10,000 need immediate triage to ensure they, at the very least, read at grade level. Anything short of that, and the people, through their school district, are denying them their future.

"I'm just one father attempting to mobilize parents and citizens in support of HB 1551 and 2140 against powerful lobbies for the status quo such as the Arkansas School Board Association, Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators, and the Arkansas Education Association. Of course, I welcome any support we can get from individuals and groups. But please know, nothing stealthy here, unlike those who would prefer school elections remain small and exclusive and the people not be given a chance to determine how they will be represented.

"Sincerely,
Gary Newton

"P.S. For what it's worth, I wrote Alan a few days ago, in an attempt to share these issues with your readers and editorial team, but have yet to hear back from him. "
Max edits a widely distributed free, weekly publication (which I read regularly) and a widely followed Blog (which I don't; but was sent the link). Heck, my band even got invited to play in this year's Arkansas Times' Musicians Showcase.

I have six followers and exactly 1,243 page views in the five weeks I've been posting. And yet, this father's initiatives are stereotyped as ominous, stealth government, anti-tax, arrogant, rich white man, special interest and anti-democratic.

Easy for him to write. Not so easy for those 10,000 students annually in the Little Rock School District who aren't literacy proficient.

Post your comments on his Blog. Nobody reads mine.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, brother. I shared this with my principal today. He agrees that school elections held during the general election is a good idea. It will represent more of the population rather than those with an agenda who rally like minded voters.

    As a teacher, the current education crisis in Wisconsin saddens me. It seems that these teacher unions are more concerned with money than with students. I, nor any of my colleagues, entered the field of teaching with dreams of becoming wealthy; we chose education because of our concern for children. So often it appears the unions...and legislators at times, have lost sight of the real reason we are in schools, to make a difference in the lives of students....and you don't want to get me started on the impossible demands set forth by the state department of education.

    ReplyDelete