Saturday, March 12, 2011

AEA President's Response

This just in from Donna Morey, president of the Arkansas Education Association (AEA):

"Thank you for your interest in our view on the bill. My personal opinion is that the terms for most school boards are too long. Votes at the poll with shorter terms would solve a lot.  If recall can occur the districts would have much more unrest.  There are not many willing to serve now. Yes, there needs to be modifications I suggest three year staggered terms."
And my response:
"Thank you, Ms. Morey, for your prompt response.
"We have three-year staggered terms in Little Rock.
"Still, that's a separate issue from recall. While I appreciate your personal opinion, AEA is on record as opposed to HB 1551 and the public should know why.
"Would you and/or your organization's representatives be willing to debate the merits of HB 1551 in a public forum? I'll be happy to do it at your headquarters if the public is included.
"Our public schools need an engaged, informed electorate. This sunshine on reform would be a step in the right direction."
Then this from Ms. Morey:
"I am in a conference with National Board certified teachers today.  It will be Monday before I will have any time to get to our statement on the bill.  I suggest you ask the PTSA, Ark Advocates for Children and Families, and the Ark Policy Panel who all represent views of parents."
And my response:
"Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing from you. As for the other groups you mentioned, they don't represent this parent who is seeking passage of HB 1551 and advocating for an open and healthy debate on its merits."
And her:
"Mr. Newton,  please understand that I do not intend to debate the bill.  I will share our position as you requested."
And me:
"Thank you. I don't want an email debate either, but would welcome it at the public forum of your choosing and/or at the House Education Committee."

No comments:

Post a Comment