Monday, February 28, 2011

Words

My use of the word "immoral" regarding the inaction of the Little Rock School Board on behalf of our students at the conclusion of my The More Things Don't Change post (Friday, February 25, 2011) has been challenged by a member of the Little Rock School Board. Here's the context:
"If a child cannot read at grade-level by the time he/she leaves third grade, the chances of ever catching up are remote at best. Rome is burning, and the board's continued fiddling is inexplicable and, in my opinion, patently immoral."
I have not, and will never, call anyone immoral, nor do I have any interest in the demonizing personal and partisan politics which characterize so many of our elected bodies and our public policy discourse. 

However, it is every citizen's responsibility to call out individual and/or collective actions (or in this case, inaction) when it is decimating the futures of those with no advocates.

I choose my words carefully and stand by what I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment