Saturday, February 12, 2011

Public vs. Private

I have received a request asking that I share the email responses of Messrs. Adams and Carreiro. It's a fair request and an issue which I've given great consideration.

Since the communications are with public figures, ethically, I could make them public. But strategically, I don't think that would be in the best interest of achieving ultimate goals. Both men communicated with me immediately and personally, so I'm choosing to keep that line of communication open and confidential.

I also believe publishing their responses without forewarning would lessen the chances of receiving direct answers from the other members of the board.

My encouragement would be for all citizens to ask comparable questions, either personally or publicly, to get and keep our public representatives specific and on the record.

Four days after writing, I have yet to hear from Mr. Armstrong, Mr. Nellums, Dr. Mitchell and Ms. Curry. So, I encourage others to give it a go.

The reason I have chosen to post my responses is that for too long I have remained on the sidelines, complaining without action, and leaving advocacy to others I perceived as better suited. I could no longer, in good conscience, encourage others to engage if I was unwilling to do so myself. At a micro level, it's about my children. At a macro, it's about our community. At a moral level, it's about giving every child the opportunity to succeed, no matter the impact on those staff members, teachers, administrators, board members or citizens charged with publicly educating them.

For too long, we have allowed our public school system to be run by the few hundred people who show up to vote in September. How can we expect excellence and accountability of our representatives and institutions when we're unwilling to demand it of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment