Monday, February 28, 2011

Outrage (Part 2)

After 11 days and two follow-ups with the interim superintendent, I received this from Karen James (Director of Elementary Literacy, Little Rock School District) regarding the Little Rock School District's not teaching cursive:
"LRSD has always had an expectation to teach handwriting.

"Handwriting instruction (manuscript and cursive) should be occurring every day, in every classroom, in every school.

"Following your inquiry, I looked into the concern. I certainly thank you for bringing this to our attention.

"While there are no handwriting books, the instruction in cursive should, and will, begin in third grade and include the formation of letters and beginning of linking letters to form words. There are materials available in the writing process/materials.

"Cursive instruction will continue throughout fourth and fifth grades with a focus on developing efficiency, legibility and reading cursive writing."
Just so we’re clear, my complaint was never with our stellar teacher or principal, as I know they value cursive and would/will do everything in their power to see that it’s taught. My complaint was/is with the central administration for seemingly forcing individual schools to have to carry the water alone on such an important issue.

While I am pleased with the news, I have to wonder about a managerial atmosphere which created this disconnect in the first place and if the individual schools are being fully supported (with materials, resources, etc.) by the district. I also have to wonder if I am being told the whole truth on this issue, particularly since it took so long to get an answer to such a basic question.

No comments:

Post a Comment