Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Response to John Walker's Latest Email

On this blog, I choose not to post personal email directed solely to me unless it has been made public by the author to others. I do, however, post my responses in an attempt to bring sunshine and transparency to the governance of the Little Rock School District. Unlike his previous email, which he copied to the entire board, John Walker wrote a second time just to me. What follows is my response.
Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Representative Walker,

Please know, I do not wish to take time away from your service on behalf of your constituents, which I greatly respect.

I'll reiterate, on issues related to the Little Rock School District, I am my own man. I do not speak for the Chamber nor Jay Chesshir, and neither speak for me.

You and I, however, are in agreement on your initial characterization of Jay...as well as the unacceptable condition of our public schools. As for your three points:

1) My suggestion of a debate wasn't a challenge, but rather an offer to better motivate the public to become engaged in the governance of our schools. You're right, I have no standing, other than being a motivated citizen and father. But I couldn't offer without being willing to participate.

I also believe that, in the case of our schools, advocacy is best conducted in public, so people may be privy to opposing viewpoints.

There are many well intended means, not all of which are effective. I have to believe that over the past 30 years, not all of your initiatives in regard to the district have worked out as you would have wished. Some, perhaps, may have even been detrimental. I'm simply looking for effective ways to engage the people.

Rightly or wrongly, in different circles in our community you are alternately cast as the savior or the destroyer of the Little Rock School District. I think it would be healthy for people in all zones to hear your and others' (e.g. Ms. Koehler's, Mr. Chesshir's) perspective and ask questions. What our district needs is sunshine, not only for the board and administration, but also for those exerting influence.

As it is, no one is responsible for all the students, just those in respective zones. So it is up to the community's big-picture leaders to bridge that divide.

If Newt Gingrich and Al Sharpton can tour the country (together) on behalf of education reform, John Walker, Cathy Koehler and Jay Chesshir can tour Little Rock. Again, I don't speak for Jay, and I've not suggested this to him, but I think the idea is worthy of consideration.
2) We don't implement the strategic plan, we don't administer triage to the over 10,000 students who are not proficient, but we sure fight when changes are proposed for a school election date and who determines board representation.

What we're doing/not doing is not working, and I simply don't see leadership in the district putting students first.

3) My effort was to empower the people to determine how they will be represented, not the incumbent school board members, whose positions are at stake. That issue is now moot. I lost. Badly.

As evidenced by our communications thus far, we will likely disagree on many means to ends we likely hold in common - immediate world-class education for all students.

Yes, I was here when the lawsuit began. At the time, my aunt was director of special education in the North Little Rock School District, and I was a senior executive with the Chamber, so I was very familiar with the intent of the litigation. I left in 1988 for New York City, then Los Angeles (1992), then returned to Little Rock in 2005 for a better life for our children.

My great disappointment upon returning was finding a district in worse shape than when I left, despite years of litigation. When I witnessed first hand the detachment most people had with their public schools, rather than simply complain, I set out to seek changes which would empower and enfranchise the people in the governance of their district.

I have no problem with folks disagreeing on the merits with any of my initiatives. I do, however, take great issue with those who mischaracterize my intent and motives.2) We don't implement the strategic plan, we don't administer triage to the over 10,000 students who are not proficient, but we sure fight when changes are proposed for a school election date and who determines board representation.

Even though it was not in our zone, we sought out Fair Park Pre-K because of its quality and cultural and economic diversity. My wife (a Detroit native) and I were thrilled that our four-year old twins got to attend an excellent school, not in our neighborhood, that reflected all aspects of our community. We regretted the same model did not continue in other grades.

While my children are my catalyst, I don't approach my advocacy with a myopic vision. My kids will be fine. I'll see to that. What motivates me are those with no advocates and the lives, families and futures that are being denied because of the lack of leadership at the board level.

The very survival of our community depends on the success of our public schools. So again, I think we share that common ground.

I was puzzled, however, by your characterization of the Chamber's involvement in the school board race. When the Chamber opposed the incumbent, you saw it as racial. But when you opposed him three years later, it was on substance.

Of course I'm aware of your role in litigation among the three districts. It just seems to me that your best intentions over the past three decades haven't worked as you intended, as witnessed by the current state of the district. And yet, when I suggest that the people instead of the incumbent school board should determine how they're represented, you believe that singular change would be the final nail in the district's coffin.

In my opinion, continuing to cast the struggles of the Little Rock School District as an either or between one race and another or the poor and the not poor is a false competition for mediocrity.

I liken it to blaming lack of parental involvement on students' not learning. Or not having high expectations for all students. The reality is the district is not working for anybody, including the 21% and declining of folks of my race.

Fifty-four years ago, nine courageous students risked their lives to enter Little Rock's public schools. Today, it is unconscionable for students to be risking their futures because they can't get out. The relevant achievement gap is between all of our students and the developed world.

As for now, my advocacy will focus on getting the board to implement the strategic plan that you and others invested so much in only to see it essentially shelved as the board inexplicably waits, and waits, and waits...

Sincerely,

Gary Newton

P.S. I'm not joking. Please consider that debate/forum idea. We've got to be creative and aggressive in breaking down these walls and prompting our leaders to lead or get out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment