Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lyin' or Pickups and Guns...Oh My

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's Cynthia Howell, in her July 23rd article, '1 school board race in county draws 2,' quoted 23-year Little Rock School District Board Member Dr. Katherine Mitchell as follows:
“People were upset with me when I was trying to help get us a superintendent who would be responsive to the total community. That’s when it happened,” she said. “I got a lot of threats. People don’t know what I went through in that period. People driving by my house making sure I lived there and they were in pickup trucks with guns in the back. It wasn’t an easy time for me but I just didn’t say anything.”
Yes she did - to Ms. Howell - who reported it in her article. But not before? When it was allegedly happening? Why not?


Why would the president of the largest local governmental entity in the state not report such threats at the time? Why no police report? Terroristic threatening is not only a felony, but a federal crime. Plus, Dr. Mitchell is a public official. Why wasn't the FBI notified?


I can think of only three reasonable explanations: 1) she was misquoted; 2) she was negligent in her duty as a public official; or 3) she's not telling the truth.


If one, she should seek a correction and issue an accurate public statement.


If two, she should immediately report the incident(s) to the proper authorities and cooperate fully with any investigation.


If three, she should really work on her storytelling. "People...in pickup trucks with guns in the back?" I get the not so veiled stereotypical implication. Throw in a banjo and a washboard, and it reads like the Darlings have come to Mayberry to exact a little hillbilly justice. What next? West Little Rock soccer moms in SUVs with overscheduled kids in the back.


Are we really to believe that in a District where folks don't even go to the polls in school elections, "people," not a single person, but "people" rolled past Dr. Mitchell's house in one or more pick-up trucks with guns in the back. Back window (gun rack) or back of truck? Were there people with guns in the back or just guns? If just guns, were they so big or plentiful that Dr. Mitchell could see them rise above the sides of the truck bed?


I'm not so naive to believe that threats don't occur. My dad was a high school principal in the 60s and 70s. One night, a rock was thrown through my bedroom window. Another night, while I was playing basketball in our driveway, a carload of high school boys stopped in front of our house, called me over, then handed me an obscene note/cartoon to give to my dad. When I read it, I tried to hit them with a rock as they sped away (I was better at basketball). I remember trick-or-treating on Halloween, while Dad sat in the open garage guarding the house. And that's just what I knew about. So yes, threats and other bad things do happen.


If left unchallenged, Dr. Mitchell's story will cast a continued pall over our community and discourage leaders from taking tough positions and/or citizens from seeking leadership roles for fear of their and/or their families' personal safety. The proper authorities should investigate Dr. Mitchell's allegations fully and immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment